Today Brian Stelter kicked off Reliable Sources with the same topic that dominated most of the hour last week: Donald Trump. As a prelude to his interview with a Trumpster (that seemed to deal an awful lot with politics for a program about media) Brian aired a few clips from today’s morning tv shows. First was a bit from MSNBC’s Up (the thrust of which was hey, maybe Trump really is running for President after all), and then this from Fox & Friends:
LELAND VITTERT: The question I think, really, is the buzz is actually a good thing this early on. We’re still a long way until Iowa, long way until New Hampshire. Or is the sound of the buzz a chainsaw?
(We’ve added Mr. Vittert’s name to the CNN transcript where he is just “unidentified male”. No, he wasn’t identified on screen either.)
Immediately after that, Brian looks into the camera and with an oddly supercilious tone adds:
STELTER: I don’t know — I don’t think FOX knows how to cover this campaign.
OK, but what are you talking about? What was it about the three sentences you aired that leads to that conclusion? Or were you referencing something else? If so, you kept it a secret as Fox’s coverage never came up in any of your Trump discussions. But more to the point, why the cheap shot at FNC at all? You’re not a media critic, remember? You’re a media reporter. As you have told people time and time again:
- First and foremost I’m a media reporter, not a media critic, so…
- how so, specifically? (for what it’s worth, i don’t view myself as a media critic, i’m a media reporter)
- i purposefully don’t call myself a media critic 🙂 i talked about storm coverage on my show last year:
- I never want to demean anyone. I don’t view myself as a critic though; my title is media correspondent.
- I stopped reading when I saw it said “media critic,” which is not my title.
- my title is “senior media correspondent” and host of @CNNReliable. I am very purposefully not a “media critic.”
- if you were “mostly a fan,” you’d know I’m not a critic or ombudsman, I’m a full-time reporter about media 🙂
- my job title is “senior media correspondent.” previously, at the NYT, i was a “TV reporter.” not critic.
So The Cable Gamer is confused. Brian Stelter is not a media critic. But then he singles out Fox News, and criticizes them—without explaining why. Or maybe just being Fox News was reason enough. Oh well, as one of Jeff Zucker’s favorite employees said:
- We’re in a phase where “everyone’s a media critic” but I sense very few real “media reporters”